China, India, Indonesia, Russia, Thailand, Malaysia, and Japan
01. A free Visa regime is implemented for nationals of China, India, Indonesia, Russia, Thailand, Malaysia, and Japan with immediate effect, until 31.03.2024, launching as a pilot program to rebuild the tourism industry in line with the Cabinet of Ministers Approval 23/1885/602/023 dated 24.10.2023.
02. Nationals of the above-nominated countries possessing Diplomatic, Official, Public Affairs, Service, and Ordinary passports are eligible to enjoy a visa-free regime under this scheme.
03. Above nominated nationals should apply for Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) before arriving in Sri Lanka subject to granting/issuing free of charge up to 31.03.2024.
04. Under this scheme tourists can enjoy a 30 days free visa period and a double entry facility is permitted from the date of first arrival to Sri Lanka within 30 days.
05. In case this free ETA period of 30 days from the date of arrival expires on or before 31.03.2024, an applicant will not be allowed to obtain a further extension of visa. But, in case the free 30-day validity of the visa expires after 31.03.2024, an extension can be applied by paying the appropriate visa fee.
06. Please note that this particular visa-free regime applies to the above seven nominated countries and the rest of the countries may follow the general rules and regulations applicable to Sri Lanka ETA.
ETA Processing Fee will be revised with effect from 01.12.2022 00:00 hrs.
Please click here for further details of new ETA Processing Fees.
Alert 03 (2021.01.16 00:00)
Cameroon, Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Ghana
Visitors from Cameroon, Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Ghana who intend to apply for ETA may apply through Sri Lankan Sponsor for their ETA from the Head office of the Department of Immigration & Emigration, Sri Lanka.